Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Rice Cereal

Everson is Exclusively Breastfed (EBF), and if you remember my post about the vitamin supplements and iron, I wasn't giving him any. And Dr. Perona didn't mention anything about it at his 4 month check-up. Well, that week after his appointment, he was nursing about every 2-3 hours and was waking up in the middle of the night again. Hmmm..I thought maybe the Roto-virus vaccine was getting to him again and upsetting his stomach, but then, why was he nursing so much? Mom suggested I start him on rice cereal. In my mind, I started Jackson on rice cereal about 2 weeks before his 6 month birthday (for the iron), and I wasn't going to start Everson earlier than that. But the more I started thinking about it, the more he showed the SIGNS of being ready for rice (he watches us intently as we eat, he holds his head up, he was nursing more often....)

So I got the book out. My go to. My biggest recommendation for ANY mom: Super Baby Food( http://www.superbabyfood.com/). I followed it to a TEE with Jackson and it was the greatest thing I think I've ever done for him. And then, remembering that every aspect of Jackson's life was blogged and digitized, I searched his blog for rice cereal. Sure enough, 4 months. Exactly 4 months. Yet again, my mother was right.

So I got the Earth's Best Organic rice cereal and pumped some milk. We were having dinner at GG Jane's that night, so I grabbed all the supplies: a bib, his spoon, and the rice and headed over to GG's for vegetable soup and Everson's rice cereal!

I let Memaw video, and Mommy got to be the one to feed him! Daddy got to do all the fun stuff with Jackson b/c Mommy was always taking pictures, but not this go round! He did very well. His mouth motions were spot on--they move their tongue in and out when learning to move food, and he kept most of it in! Not so sure about the taste...but we're working on it! He got about 5 tiny bites in (didn't even dent the bowl) and has been consistently eating that amount for the past week. He's not a huge fan. But a little is better than none, right?


No comments: